The Look: Rock n Roll, Pompadour Up-do
January and Renato chose to do a modern take on a up-do that was very rock ‘n roll. January’s pompadour hairstyle paired with her Prabal Gurung dress added a fun and cool vibe to the SAG Awards. January’s striking look was the biggest fashion statement on the red carpet!
Here’s how Renato created January’s look:
1. Starting with damp hair, apply Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Mega Firm Hold Gel to all the hair and brush through so it’s evenly distributed.
2. Using a comb, blow-dry gelled hair to create a sleek, wet look.
3. Once hair is mostly dry, use a round brush and blow dry hair up and back to create volume.
4. In the back, tease hair with a rat tail comb to create all over volume, especially at the ends.
5. To hold the style in place, apply Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Extra Firm Hold Hairspray to sculpt and lift the hair for a look that will last all night.
Nope, we’re not over the Golden Globes just yet. Jessica Alba was gasp-worthy gorgeous and had our fave look on Sunday night. We got the scoop on how to DIY her retro style.
On Sunday’s red carpet Jessica Alba looked stunning in tangerine. The glamorous mother of two, a presenter at the awards ceremony, wore a gorgeous peach-colored gown by Oscar de la Renta. “The dress was the inspiration,” says makeup artist Lauren Andersen. “I loved the contrast between her glowing skin and the matte orange lip. It’s an almost tropical pop of color that’s not an exact match for the dress but close.”
Skin: Lauren prepped the skin with Hourglass No. 28 Primer Serum, and followed with Hourglass Illusion Tinted Moisturizer in Sand. She then used Hourglass Hidden Corrective Concealer in Warm under the eyes, down the bridge of the nose and fanned the product out in the center of the forehead to create dimension. She finished the skin step with the new Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Radiant Light applied all over to create a golden, subtle warmth. “It’s a soft, refined shimmer that’s glowy,” says Lauren.
Cheeks: She used the bronze shade from Hourglass Illume Crème-to-Powder Bronzer Duo in Sunset to contour the cheeks and followed with the blush shade on the apples of the cheeks.
Eyes: Hourglass Film Noir Kohl Eye Pencil in Espresso was first applied to the outer corners of the eyes and then smudged it with a brush. Lauren then applied Hourglass Superficial Waterproof Bronzer in the crease of the eyes and the gold shade from Hourglass Visionaire Eye Shadow Duo in Dune on the lids. Lashes were treated to several coats of Hourglass Film Noir Full Spectrum Mascara. She finished up by amplifying the brows with Hourglass Arch Sculpting Brow Pencil in Soft Brunette.
Lips: Finally, Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Riviera, a vibrant tangerine shade, was applied to the lips. The velvety matte color delivers richly pigmented and long-lasting coverage for up to 14 hours.
Last night’s Golden Globes kicked off award season and there was a clear return to old Hollywood glam. We got the scoop from celeb stylist and Schwarzkopf Professional Blonding Ambassador, Kim Vo on one of our favorite looks, Globes host, Tina Fey:
“When hosting, it’s important to have versatile hair that goes with every fashion look and Tina Fey has achieved just that,” says Vo. To get the look at home:
- Prep damp hair with OSiS Grip Extreme Hold Mousse. This isn’t the mousse from the 80s – it provides plenty of hold without the typical crunch and wet look. Simply massage into hair and blow dry.
- While blow drying, use a round brush to create a smooth, full appearance. When hair is dry and hot, twirl sections to help create a voluminous look and give a soft wave to the hair and curl to the ends.
- Use round brush to blend bangs into the gentle wave and use OSiS Freeze Strong Hold Hairspray to hold them in place. The strong hold will make sure they stay put while keeping the soft appearance to hair.
- Finish with OSiS Sparkler Shine Spray to give tresses that red carpet shine.
It’s a tradition. Every year, a group of my girlfriends gather at my house dressed in their most comfy PJs to watch the Golden Globe Awards and nosh on snacks. This year I plan on surprising my guests (unless they’re reading this post!) by taking the whole “gold” theme to the next level. From the gilded eyeshadow I’ll be donning to the glistening ribbon (leftover from Christmas gift wrapping) I plan to decorate the TV with—it’s going to be a gold-extravaganza! But, of course, we’ll still be in our PJs and snacking. Here’s how you can add a little—or a lot of—oomph to your own Globes viewing party.
BY TERRY Ombre Blackstar in Beyond Gold ($43) This waterproof shadow stays silky and smooth all night long—even through those sappy speeches that make you tear up.
Godiva Gold Ballotin ($30) Chocolate is a no-brainer for the snack table at a Globes shindig. Why not make it melt-in-your-mouth-beyond-delish-chocolate?
DavidsTea’s Glitter & Gold ($7.50) Warm up your viewing party with this tea made with Chinese black tea, sugar crystals, gold sugar balls, vanilla, orange peel, and cloves
Accessorize in Gold
Charming Charlie Jewelry ($9+) Now’s the time to wear every piece of gold jewelry you own…all at once. Not really, but have fun with it—wear the chunky necklace, put on the oversize earrings, or slide a gold ring on a few fingers instead of just one. Why? Because…it’s the Golden Globes!
Anne Hathaway proves that growing out a haircut isn’t always a bad thing. Thoughts?
Runway (and Project Runway) queen Heidi Klum is used to turning heads on the red carpet, and her appearance at the Emmy Awards was no exception. Klum exuded Old Hollywood glamour with her elegant turquoise gown and soft, shiny waves. “I was inspired by French fashion photographer Guy Bourdin, whose models always looked so glamorous,” Oribe says. “This look is new for Heidi because it is so soft and easy.”
1. Blow out hair with Volumista Mist for Volume and a round brush.
2. Spray sections of hair with Soft Lacquer Heat Styling Spray and use a curling iron to create pin curls.
3. Once curls have cooled, release them and brush them out with a Mason Pearson. Mist with Imperméable Anti-Humidity Spray for workable hold and protection against the elements.
4. Pin one side back slightly to keep it off the face and show off Lorraine Schwartz earrings.
5. Set the whole look with SuperfineHair Spray to keep it in place from the red carpet to the after parties.