While there is merit to some beauty products that cost the earth (this gal has bought several replacement bottles of $150 Rodin Olio Lusso, for instance), the phrase “you get what you pay for” can be as incorrect semantically as it is grammatically. There are a bevy of fabulous beauty buys at your local drugstore that can be scored for under a Hamilton note. Here, my favorite inexpensive makeup, hair, skin care and body buys.
1. Revlon BB Cream: Revlon’s foundations have long impressed me, and the brand’s foray into the BB cream space is worthy of a parade. It yields light, smooth, even coverage with a hint of hydration ($9).
3. Maybelline Clean Express Makeup Removing Lotion: My lids and lashes have become a “no-fly zone” for regular face washing since I started getting lash extensions at Courtney Akai Lash Boutique and recently became a convert to Browhaus’ brow resurrection service. This creamy lotion on a Q-tip removes all traces of even the most stubborn liner, shadow and mascara ($5).
4. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask: This is my go-to when I’m about eight months deep into a haircut. You and I both know highlighted, heat-styled ends are absolutely a Greek tragedy by that point. This creamy, lush masque whips them into shape without scissors ($6).
5. John Frieda Full Repair Perfect Ends Sheer Mist: Similarly, spritzing this stuff on ends before flat-ironing or curling can help me eke out another two months of wear on a haircut ($9.99).
6. Yes To Carrots Hydrating Shower Gel: Moisture, great cleansing, a crisp, refreshing scent and natural. Get involved ($7).
7. L’Oreal Paris Miss Pixie Nail Color: For six dollars, you can score the very same hue as talon titan Jin Soon Choi’s legendary Blue Iris Nail Lacquer, which beauty editors love. Note: You’ll need an extra coat or two; this one skews a bit more sheer ($6).
When it comes to my makeup, I’m a total eyeshadow girl. I love experimenting with different colors and creating different all from my eyeshadow.
My personal favorite look is creating a smokey eye with my shadows. Sometimes I use charcoals, sometimes I use browns, sometimes I use purples and blues, it just kind of depends how I’m feeling at the moment. I’ve never been one to have fun with lip colors, but with eyeshadow — anything goes!
Just like with fashion, with each upcoming season, there are always new colors that are trending and emerging on the beauty front. This Spring 2013, there are some gorgeous bold and beautiful eyeshadow colors that you don’t want to miss trying out. This Spring it’s all about vibrant and statement colors for the eyes. The colors are rich and luxurious and eye-catching (pun intended).
Here are 5 of Spring’s Hottest Eyeshadow Colors (and why I love them):
Emerald has been named the “color of 2013,” also allowing all shades of green to come center stage. I love the boldness to this Guacamole eyeshadow shade. This is the kind of color you can easily wear as a light dusting or heavy. I also love that if you have green or blue eyes, this will absolutely make your eyes pop. It’s soothing and bold at the same time. This is one of my personal faves for Spring 2013!
Hello Spring! You will shine and glitter in this shade. I love Gold Rush because it’s a happy color. I’ve had a lot of success layering over my charcoals for some added shine. I think it’s a beautiful color and totally brings on the brightness of Spring 2013!
Pretty in pinks and purples. I love these colors because they’re delicate, elegant and just beautiful. I love mixing pinks and purples together because you can create such a soft look for your lids. Not to mention, each color on their own stands out.
4) Persia by NARS -
You want bold for spring? This is your color. I love the pop of this color, it’s loud and beautiful. You can do a lot with this color, and I think it’s perfect for ladies with darker eyes. It’s a stunning color that you will get a ton of complements on!
5) Revlon ColorStay 16-Hour Eyeshadow – Adventurous
Teals and blues and greens and creams… perfect Spring combinations! Blue and teal are (2) colors that are trending like crazy this Spring in the fashion world, and I love seeing them brought over into beauty. These colors are relaxing, serene and BOLD.