5 Ways to Rescue Dry, Winter-Ravaged Skin
The weather has been brutally cold lately in New England. Last week it was as low as 4 degrees in the morning! Four degrees! I was bundled from head to toe and I was STILL COLD! I know it’s going to get cold in the winter, I’m never fully prepared for how chilled to the bone I get! It’s funny, the weather is the ONLY thing moms are talking about at school pick-up.
One thing that takes a huge toll on many women during this time of year is dry skin. Hands, face, legs, arms, lips, and feet… skin gets rough, scaly, and dry during the winter months and it’s difficult to return skin to a healthy glow.
Here are five ways to take care for your skin in the winter:
1) Moisturize your face before you head to bed and when you wake up in the morning. It’s a routine you should keep for your whole life. Keeping your skin moisturized is so important because creates a protective barrier for your skin.
My product recommendation: Olay Regenerist.
2) Try this DIY reatments for dry hands. My hands get the worst in the winter, they are so cracked and dry and it’s painful. You can do your very own at-home hand treatments once or twice a week (depending upon how bad your hands are) to soothe aching hands. My grandma used to do this to my mom when she was a little girl and then she did it with me and now I do it on myself and my sons. I lather ointment/cream on my hands and then put socks (or special gloves like these) over my hands before bed! It’s super easy, but works like a charm!
My recommendation: Vaseline.
3) Use lip balm regularly. Cracked lips are the worst and it’s tough to wear lipstick or lip gloss with flaky, dry lips. Make sure you’re balming your lips just like you’re moisturizing your face and hands.
My recommendation: Blistex (in the winter).
4) Invest in a humidifier. I love using a humidifier throughout my house because they disperse the moisturizer evenly. I learned this “trick” from my mom! They keep the air in your rooms from getting too dry and zapping the moisture from your skin.
My recommendation: Vicks Cool Mist Evaporative Humidifier.
5) Vitamin time! Make sure you’re taking a multi-vitamin, they truly do wonders for your body and your skin!